Text + -

How Do I...

Apply for a passport

Get your passport forms, photos, and passport questions answered at the Mission Viejo Library! Passport Acceptance services are by appointment or on a first-come, first-served basis. Visit the Library's Passport Information Page for more detailed information, or call the Library's information line at 949-470-8420.

Apply for a permit or submit plans

In September 2023, the City launched Client Self Service system for online submissions of permits and plans.  For more information and resources on this new system, visit cityofmissionviejo.org/client-self-service

Change the signage for my business

You must obtain planning approval and a building permit from the City's Community Development Department prior to the installation of any new sign.  Most commercial centers in the City have approved planned sign programs which establish a common theme, incorporating similar design elements in terms of materials, letter style, color, illumination, sign type, and sign shape. Before purchasing a new sign, please consult with your property manager and a planner from the Community Development Department to review applicable regulations. For further information, you may contact the Community Development Department at 949-470-3053.

Get information about Animal Services

For more details on pet licensing, lost pets, pet adoptions, and more, visit the Animal Services FAQ webpage.

Register for Activities

Activity registration is available online.  The Mission Viejo Life Activity Guide is published quarterly and includes upcoming events, resources, and classes.

Register my home as a short-term rental

Information for short-term rentals and transient occupancy tax can be found on the Finance Department page.

Register to vote

Residents can register to vote online here or change registration (such as address changes, name changes and/or changes to party affiliation). Paper voter registration forms are also available in the City Clerk's office at City Hall. See our election information page for more details.

Report potholes, landscaping issues, or other problems

To report potholes, landscaping issues, burnt-out street lights, or other problems, use our Online Service Request System or through the MV Life App.

Report graffiti

To report graffiti, please call the Graffiti Hotline at 949-460-2924, or use our Online Service Request System or through the MV Life App

Report Sidewalk/Street Vending

Sidewalk/Street vending is legal per California State law.  In 2018, State lawmakers passed Senate Bill 946 - Sidewalk Vendors. The bill allows for these vendors to sell on public sidewalks as long as they are not violating the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and does not require for them to have a permit from the City.  The City and Police Services do not have the authority to prohibit this activity. Public Works Inspectors routinely check that the placement of vendor booths/carts meets the requirements of ADA to allow for passage of pedestrians on sidewalks, which requires 4’ of pedestrian clearance.  If you there is an ADA issue at a particular location, please contact Public Works at (949) 470-3056 or PublicWorks@cityofmissionviejo.org.  

If sidewalk vendors are selling food, they must have a valid health permit from OC Health Department.  The City has been assisting OC Health to enforce several illegal food stands in the City.  To assist with this effort, we would encourage you to let us know if you see the food stands – which are often there after the end of the workday- and also to contact OC Health at (714) 433-6000.

Secure a building inspection

Building services is responsible for proper inspection of all construction work to assure compliance with approved plans and laws, ordinances pertaining to construction, use, and occupancy.

Use the Client Self Service system to request inspections.

For Legacy Permits (permits before Sept. 7, 2023), Building inspection requests must be scheduled online. The permit number, job address, and phone number must be provided for each  inspection. 

Visit Building Services for more details.  You can also cancel an inspection online.

Sign up for eNewsletters

Stay informed of the latest news and information, events, City Council meetings, classes and more by subscribing to City eNewsletters.

Submit a request for community sign (corner of La Paz/Marguerite)

The City welcomes news and information from Mission Viejo non-profit organizations for consideration of posting on the electronic sign at the corner of La Paz and Marguerite. Complete the online request form for your request to be considered for posting on the sign.

Submit a request for public records

Many public records are available online through the City's Document Management System. To file a Public Records Act request, you may complete the City’s online request form or for any questions contact the Community Relations Department at 949-470-3034 or records@cityofmissionviejo.org.

Volunteer at the Animal Shelter, Library, or Community Center

Visit our volunteer information page to view available volunteer opportunities and submit an application.