Text + -

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Where is City Hall located?

Mission Viejo City Hall is located at 200 Civic Center in Mission Viejo next to the Library.  From the 5 Fwy. from either Oso Pkwy. or La Paz exit, go east to Marguerite Pkwy.  City Hall is on the corner of La Paz and Marguerite.  View the map and driving instructions

What are the hours of business for City Hall?

Mission Viejo City Hall is open Monday through Friday from 8 am to 5 pm.  Building and Safety counter hours are Monday through Friday from 8 am to 4 pm, closed for lunch from 12 pm to 1 pm and allowing the last sign in at 3:30 pm.

When was the City incorporated?

The City of Mission Viejo was incorporated on March 31, 1988.

When does the City Council meet?

The City Council meets on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month in the Council Chambers at 200 Civic Center.  The closed session portion of the meeting begins at 5 pm. The public portion of the meeting begins at 6 pm or soon thereafter. Agendas for council meetings are posted at City Hall on the Wednesday afternoon before each meeting.  For more information regarding council meetings or council members, check the events page.

When is the next election?

The next election is November of 2022.  Visit Election Information for up to date information.

Does the City have a charter?

No, the City does not have a charter. The City is a General Law City operating under the Council-Manager form of government.

Where is the Social Security office located?

The nearest Social Security Office is located at 2331 Madero, Mission Viejo, CA 92691. If you have a problem or a question, first try the toll free number at 800-772-1213 between the hours of 9 am - 4 pm, Monday through Friday. 

Do I need a business license?

No. The City does not require a business license.  However, all new businesses are required to obtain a Certificate of Occupancy permit from the City's Community Development Department. This ensures that your business is permitted to occupy a specific building and that the use complies with Building, Fire, Health, and Zoning code regulations. Depending on your particular situation, you may require other approvals or licenses from Community Development Department, Police Department, or other applicable public agency.  If your business operates out of a home, the City has "Home Occupation" standards to ensure their compatibility with the neighborhood. (See question regarding operating a business out of your home).  Use the Client Self Service system to apply for a Certificate of Occupancy.

Can I run a business out of my home?

Yes.  A home-based business, commonly referred to as a "Home Occupation" business, is permitted when conducted as an incidental and accessory use to the residence. The resident typically conducts business by mail, phone, fax or computer. The City's zoning regulations outline several operating requirements for a home business, including: only the residents of the home may operate the business; the business shall be conducted only within the interior of the home; and the business shall not create any noise, traffic, or other impacts which disturb the surrounding neighbors.  For more information, please contact the Community Development Department at 949-470-3053.

Is sidewalk/street vending legal in Mission Viejo?

Sidewalk/Street vending is legal per California State law.  In 2018, State lawmakers passed Senate Bill 946 - Sidewalk Vendors. The bill allows for these vendors to sell on public sidewalks as long as they are not violating the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and does not require for them to have a permit from the City.  The City and Police Services do not have the authority to prohibit this activity. Public Works Inspectors routinely check that the placement of vendor booths/carts meets the requirements of ADA to allow for passage of pedestrians on sidewalks, which requires 4' of pedestrian clearance.  If you there is an ADA issue at a particular location, please contact Public Works at (949) 470-3056 or PublicWorks@cityofmissionviejo.org.  

If sidewalk vendors are selling food, they must have a valid health permit from OC Health Department.  The City has been assisting OC Health to enforce several illegal food stands in the City.  To assist with this effort, we would encourage you to let us know if you see the food stands - which are often there after the end of the workday- and also to contact OC Health at (714) 433-6000.

Do I have any promotional opportunities for my business?

Yes. Temporary promotional signs on site in connection with the opening of a business, major remodeling under an active building permit, new owner of a business, closure of a business, or sale or special event at a business may be permitted with prior approval from the City's Community Development Department. Such signs are limited to three (3) events and an aggregate maximum of 42 days per calendar year. The signs may be designed as banners or promotional posters. For more information, please contact a planner from the Community Development Department at 949-470-3053.

I want to hire a contractor, how do I check to see if he is licensed?

To check to see if a contractor is licensed, contact the California State License Board at 800-321-CSLB or https://www.cslb.ca.gov/onlineservices/checklicenseII/checklicense.aspx. Make sure to have the contractor's six-digit license number when you call. The automated phone response system needs the number in order to provide you with an answer to the contractor's license status.

How can I find out what is planned for a given piece of property in the City?

Contact the Community Development Department at 949-470-3053.

When does the Planning and Transportation Commission meet and how can I obtain an agenda?

The Planning and Transportation Commission meets on the 2nd Monday of every month at 6:30 pm in the Council Chamber. The City Council Chamber is located at City Hall, 200 Civic Center. You may stop by the Community Development Department to pick up a copy of the Planning and Transportation Commission Agenda.  Subscribe online to receive the agenda link via email.  Also, a yearly subscription of the Planning and Transportation Commission agenda and minutes is available for purchase. If you wish to subscribe, please contact the City Clerk's Office at 949-470-3052.

For your convenience, the City provides Documents Online

How can I apply for a City Commission, Committee, or Board?

There is a biennial recruitment period for City Commissions, Committees, and Boards. The recruitment period takes place toward the end of even-numbered years, approximately November or December. Contact the City Clerk at 949-470-3052 for further information. 

Application form

Who do I call to report graffiti?

To report graffiti, please call the Graffiti Hotline at 949-460-2924, use our Online Service Request system, or use the MV Life app to report issues. 

My street light is out. Who do I call for repairs?

All street lights along major arterials and in neighborhoods are owned and maintained by one of two utility companies, and street light repair is under the jurisdiction of the applicable utility company. Street light located at a traffic signal are owned and maintained by the City of Mission Viejo.

To report a burned out street light:

  • Generally, if the street light is located north of La Paz Road, the utility company is Southern California Edison. Burned out street lights north of La Paz Road can be reported by calling the following phone number: SCE: 800-655-4555.
  • If the street light is located south of La Paz Road, the utility company is San Diego Gas and Electric. Burned out street lights south of La Paz Road can be reported by calling the following phone number: SDG&E: 800-411-7343.
  • If you are unsure about which utility company is responsible for street light repair, you can confirm the utility company by reviewing your monthly utility bill. You can also call the Public Services Department at 949-470-3064 and City staff can assist you.
  • If the street light is located at a signalized intersection, the City of Mission Viejo is responsible for repair. Burned out street lights at traffic signals can be reported by calling 949-470-3056, through the Online Service Request system, or through the MV Life App.
Where to call for park light outs, parks have been defaced, or other issues with City facilities?

Submit your issues on our website or in the Report Issues section of the MV Life App (Available in the App Store or Google Play).

How often is my street swept?

Arterial streets are swept once a week. City-owned residential streets are swept every other week, with your street sweeping day generally following the day after trash collection day.

For a copy of the most current street sweeping calendar for your neighborhood, please call the Public Services Department at 949-470-3064, email publicservices@cityofmissionviejo.org, or fill out an online service request. We will send you a copy of an Operation Clean Street street sweeping calendar that outlines all the days of street sweeping in your neighborhood. We will also send you an Operation Clean Street magnet that you can post on your refrigerator door.

Read more information about Operation Clean Street and homeowner tips for keeping our neighborhood streets clean to protect our local creek and ocean resources.

Where can I dispose of household hazardous materials?

Mission Viejo residents have two ways to safely and properly dispose of household hazardous waste.

How do I submit a request for a Construction and Demolition Waste Diversion refund?

All requests must be submitted with original documentation in person or by mail to the Building and Safety Department within 6 months of final inspection approval. Instructions for required forms can be found with the following link:

Construction and Demolition Waste Diversion Form

Submit Request for Community Sign (Corner of La Paz/Marguerite)

The City welcomes news and information from Mission Viejo non-profit organizations for consideration of posting on the electronic sign at the corner of La Paz and Marguerite.  Complete the online request form for your request to be considered for posting on the sign.

How do I submit a request for public records?

To file a Public Records Act request, you may complete the City's online request form or for any questions contact the Community Relations Department at 949-470-3034 or records@cityofmissionviejo.org.

Does the City have their own police department?

The City of Mission Viejo contracts with the Orange County Sheriff's Department for Police Services. The Sheriff's Department is responsible for the protection of citizens, enforcement of laws, and crime prevention.

How to File a Police Report?

To file a report, call the non-emergency dispatch line at 949-770-6011 or visit us in person at Mission Viejo City Hall 2nd floor Monday-Friday 8 am to 5 pm.

How to Request a Police Report?

To request a Police Report, contact the records Department with the Orange County Sheriff.  For details on how to request a report, visit https://www.ocsheriff.gov/commands-divisions/professional-services-command/records/information-management/report-request

What is the non-emergency dispatch number?

The 24-Hour non-emergency dispatch number is 949-770-6011.  To contact Police Services during business hours, call 949-470-8433.

What work requires a Building permit?

2019 California Building Code Section 105.1 Required

Any owner or owner's authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by this code, or to cause any such work to be performed, shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permit.

Specific exemptions are listed in Section 105.2.

How do I apply for Building Permits or Inspections?

As of September 2023, all new permits, plans and inspections are submitted through our online Client Self Service system.  Visit the Building Services for additional information on applications, permit and inspection information.  Building Services can be contacted at (949) 470-3054 or bldgservices@cityofmissionviejo.org.

How do I register for a project as a Deputy Building Inspector?

Applications can be submitted by email along with a copy of the relevant certifications to bldgservices@cityofmissionviejo.org.

How do I stay informed about City News, Events, and Activities?

There are a variety of ways to stay informed about what is happening in the City.

Where can I retire American flags?

The City of Mission Viejo serves as a drop-off site for retired American flags. Old, unserviceable flags can be dropped off in specially marked boxes during business hours at City Hall, 200 Civic Center, or the Mission Viejo Library at 100 Civic Center.

Does the City provide Transportation?

The City of Mission Viejo provides transportation with the free MV Shuttle during the school year and for Seniors through the Senior Dial-a-Taxi service.

MV Shuttle Information

Senior Transportation Information

How do I find out more information on the Adopt a Marine program?

Marine and Sailors Adoption Committee joins forces with the Mission Viejo Community Foundation, City of Mission Viejo, local residents, organizations and businesses to provide year-round support to Mission Viejo's Marines and Sailors. Volunteers work to positively impact the lives of the brave men and women who protect our freedoms.  Visit Marine and Sailors Adoption Committee for more information and how to get involved.

How can I volunteer with the City?

Volunteering is a great way to give back to your community, directly help those in need, and make life in Mission Viejo better!   Many different departments have opportunities for volunteers for special events and on an ongoing basis.  Visit Volunteers Opportunities for details.

How do I book Park Facilities, Courts, and Community Rooms?

City Facilities can be booked online.  Visit the Online Facility Rentals page to book Community Rooms, courts, library rooms, and picnic shelter.  Use the Sports Field Request Form to book fields.  For Event Venues, visit Rentable Facilities for details and information.

How do I check Field Status?

The field status can be checked online or with the MV Life App.

How do I buy a Membership for the Recreation or Tennis Centers?

Our Recreation and Tennis centers have a variety of fee options for both residents and non-residents.  Visit Recreation & Tennis Memberships for additional details.

Can I get a refund for a Class registration?

For refund or withdrawal inquiries for class registration, please view our current refund policy.

How do I contact the Recreation and Tennis Centers?

Send us an email and staff will assist you with your needs.